Wednesday, January 13, 2010

“Cold” is a matter of perspective


“Cold” is defined by the random dictionary programme installed on my little netbook as “having a low temperature”. So, when the weather is “cold”, it has a “low temperature”. And when you feel “cold”, you feel a “low temperature”. Does that mean, though, that when you are “cold”, your temperature IS low? Hmm.

“Cold” has other connotations. Cold shoulder. Cold reception. Cold fish. To name but a few. But here, I write only of those connotations associated with temperature, in a time which turns out to be exuding a lot of warmth.

"Cold" is what urges you to swap your sandals for slippers. To layer. To want to cozy up and experiment with the principle of body heat. To sip hot tea. Or wine. By a fire.

"Cold” is the reason I drove south for the winter. "Cold" would burst the water pipes in the Jamboree. Its the reason why I meet more Canadians, New Yorkers, Michigonians, Massachussetites, and so many other northerners, in Florida in December than true Floridians. Because where we come from, its cold. And its rumoured to be significantly less so in Florida.

“Cold” is -40c. That was the temperature in Calgary the day I arrived in Cuba, according to my parents' text. Hard to imagine (but not to remember) in Cuba, where it absolutely was not cold.

“Cold” is what is blanketing pretty much the entire Northern Hemisphere right now, judging from the reports I'm getting on all the 24-hour American weather news channels.

“Cold” was venturing outside on my bike in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. Cold enough to freeze the canals. Cold enough to wear scarves and toques and gloves and hoping the bubbly would warm from inside while standing outside at midnight, dodging the fireworks of 2010. While cold enough, conditions just aren't "right" enough, according to the Dutch weather reporters, for the Eleven-City-Skate-Race, “Elevde Steden Tocht”. Because of too much snow, the ice won't form properly enough to support the skaters in the much-hoped-for winter skating event that only happens maybe once each decade, or less. If we are lucky enough and its cold enough.

“Cold” was even Miami last week. Everyone was bundled up in hats, and scarves and heavy winter coats. Everyone was talking about how cold it was outside. Everyone was doing what they could to stay warm, including fixing broken heaters and dancing until 4am. When I arrived back in Miami, I didn't believe Lily, even laughed out loud, when she texted me that it was cold out and that I didn't need to pick up my “summer” clothes. Her warm Miami blood must have forgotten what it felt like to really feel cold, I thought. But upon disembarking the plane and stepping out into the fresh Miami air myself, I quickly ducked into my backpack and hauled out a warm jacket. It WAS cold in Miami! The coldest its been there since 1977, apparently. 32F overnight (0c)! So much for Miami Heat, Miami Beach, and Miami Sunshine.

So. It was “cold” in Miami this week. Which means I didn't sit on a beach. But it certainly wasn't too cold to cycle. Nor to moonlight as a dog owner and take Jacky for a long walk, first to Starbucks, then to the local dog park, each morning. Nor to think about heading back out in the Jamboree again. “Cold” for Miami, for sure. But its still just not too cold down here on the bottom tip of Florida to camp. And, apparently – according to all those weather reports – its going to warm up this week anyway.

I have to admit, though. I do like the cold. And really, some perspective: it IS January, north of the equator.

1 comment:

  1. Your poor body must be having quite a time trying to adjust to the temperatures you've exposed it to over the last month!

    ReplyDelete