Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sleeping with the Giants


The sequoia, or redwood trees, are apparently the biggest trees on earth. In fact, they are the largest living organisim on land anywhere. The only place they live is in Northern California along the coast. According to wikipedia (and State Park brochures agree), the redwood tree “is an evergreen, long-lived, living for up to 2,200 years, and this species includes the tallest trees on Earth, reaching up to 115.5 m (379.1 ft) in height and 8m (26ft) diameter at breast height. It is native to coastal California.”

I've seen the BBC Planet Earth programme on these trees and kept them in mind as I pointed the Jamboree's nose north through California. I wondered along the drive when I would spot the first one, and if it really would be as obviously enormous as I've heard.

I found them. They weren't hard to find. And I'm happy to report that they really are obviously enormous.

I drove into the Humbolt Redwoods State Park very slowly, mouth hanging open in awe at the size of the trees along the side of the road. I found the state park campsite, and parked the Jamboree under one of the giant trees. I got out my camera and walked through the forest. I sat way down there on the ground under the trees as the sun set, sipping a glass of newly acquired Napa Valley wine. Later, I slept with the giants. I woke in the morning, the sun hinting at its existence out there beyond the top tips of the trees, way, way up there. I got Betty out and we cycled 25 early morning miles along the Avenue of the Giants.

I was impressed. Awed. Humbled. Happy. And rejuvenated. Sleeping in this park might have been the most spectacular spot I've parked the Jamboree. It absolutely beats WalMart parking lots and RV parks crammed with bus-homes. I love the quiet of the forest, the moist, cool mornings with sun peering through the tree tops, the sound of the wind rustling through the trees and, often, a fire crackling in the distance somewhere. The smell of fresh dew, green and wet on wood and leaves and dirt. These redwoods took the forest to a new level for me, literally and experientially, and inspired a nod of respect and appreciation for their age and beauty and grace. Anything I try to write might sound cliché and so I apologize for that, but if you have ever slept with these stunning giants, witnesses to the ages, silently and proudly watching over their little corner of the world, you'll understand why I say: Wow.

Northern California Redwood Forest

1 comment: