Tuesday, July 7, 2009


When a good number of Canadians take a year off, they book themselves a flight to a far-away destination, buy a sturdy backpack from MEC, stock up on Canadian flag iron-ons and pins, and take off for an exotic adventure armed with train passes, Lonely Planets and traveller’s cheques. Certainly not everyone gets around to doing it but they at least dream about it, and maybe even go so far as to check the LP guide to Farawayistan out from the library. I remember what that was like.

But I’ve always liked to do things my own way; which is why I’ve decided that with my year off, which started a few weeks ago, I’d go against this trend and travel across Canada. Having been away from Canada for 12 years, which equals most of my adult life excluding the university years (which don’t really count as “adult” life anyway), I decided I needed to reconnect with Canada. And on a big scale. It’s a big country, and I realized it might take some time. I’ve never been one to rush through any place that I visit; 12 European countries in a blurry 10 days isn’t my idea of travel. 13 years into my teaching career seems like a good time to take a break from it, and when I was granted a year’s leave of absence from my school in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, I knew it was a great time to come home again. And find out what it is that makes Canada, Canada.

As an expat, I am constantly asked about where I come from. What kind of food do we eat in Canada? Is it really really cold all the time there? Does every Canadian speak both English and French? And I get to hear the way people from other parts of the world perceive all things Canadian (which, I’ve noticed, is usually complimentary): such nice, friendly people; mind-boggling, wildly natural land; common sense attitude towards social institutions.
The thing is, with such an enormous piece of land, I’ve always had this niggling worry that it is maybe a bit presumptuous of me to speak on behalf of all of Canada. Although among all the Canadians I’ve met during my various adventures overseas, there is something there that smacks of Canada in all of us. It’s elusive and sometimes hard to define, but its there. One thing we all share that’s very obvious, though, is our pride in this grand northern land, no matter which part of it we come from.

So, my goal for the next several months is to mosey my way across the country, starting in Victoria BC on the west coast and finishing up in Halifax, NS on the east coast.
When I first conceived of this idea, there was, like any trip, a considerable amount of dreaming involved. I did buy the Lonely Planet to Canada (which, it turns out, is more than just a humorous read, but at times even insightful). I envisioned myself putting around in an old VW van. I figured if I started out early in July – about now - I’d give myself until Christmas to reach the other coast. I even worked in a wee jaunt up north to Dawson City, Yukon.

Then a few realities set in: the first was the comfort afforded from the classic VW hippie van. I love them. I truly do. But the idea of living in one for an entire year was something that I had to think twice about. If I had taken this trip on right out of university, at a time when I didn’t know any better about comfortable living, I would have done it without a second thought. But after having lived in my own cozy apartment(s) around the world for the past decade, I realized that a proper bed, a toilet and even a little kitchen might be a really nice way to spend the year on the road. So I searched for a small RV which my parents found for me in Calgary, and which I am stubornly referring to as my “van” and will do so throughout this blog. It was a decision that I made with some reluctance, mostly having to do with giving up the romantic idea of “travelling across the country in a van”. In my 24-foot “van”, though, I will still be able to make like a snail, bringing my house with me, and live a simple nomadic life for the year. And I am already in like with my new home.

The second reality check was the impending Canadian winter. If you’ve ever lived through a truly Canadian winter, you’re probably likely never to forget it, however I guess it’s been a long time since I’ve done that and my mind was foggy with wimpy European comparisons. In talking to my dad, I grudgingly had to admit that following the advice of RV owners across Canada – “head south before the snow flies!” – was probably smart. Apparently in “vans” like mine, in which I’ll be carrying water, I’ll need to leave the freezing zone before it hits. So, I’ve given myself a new goal to reach the east coast; my birthday is October 21, and I plan to celebrate it in Halifax. Shortly thereafter, I’ll duck south across the border for the winter. Keep your fingers crossed that the fall frost doesn’t cause havoc with my water.

Naturally, this shortened travel time strikes the Yukon tour off the itinerary. For now. I’ll get there eventually. I’m placated knowing that coast-to-coast across Canada is quite an impressive undertaking in itself. So I’ll save my really northern adventure for another time when I’ve got time to spend, and enjoy the provinces that I will pass through.
So I want to start this blog off as honestly as I can. Basically I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m not a blogger, nor am I particularly technically capable. I’ll blunder my way through it, though, and try to add stories and pictures whenever I can. Consider this my travel journal and an invite to you to share it with me. Please write a comment whenever something I’ve said or done or posted strikes you, and suggestions for those corners of Canada that you are most familiar with are always welcome.

I hope, through this blog, to entertain, to encourage, and to provide the escape through vicarious travelling to all of you who know me and are waving your hands in wishing me well as I drive off.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    Have a great journey and I'll see you somewhere along the way!

    Yer bro,
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an awesome journey!!! too bad you have to omit your yukon tour, but your coast to coast travel sounds fabulosa... and can't wait to hear your experience and encounters along the way...

    Kartika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck lady!!!
    It's wonderful to see your own country, goodness knows there are parts of the UK I don't know at all, and it's only tiny compared to Canada.
    Will be thinking of you in your little van!
    If you do ever want to 'do' Yukon I have a lovely friend that works for First Nation government in Teslin. She was in Leiden for 6 months a few years ago so that's how we met (she's another biologist)!
    Will you be reading and writing on your travels too?
    Donna
    x

    ReplyDelete